As paranormal investigators, we’ve come across many cases where individuals believe they may be possessed by an external force. Diagnosing possession has become standard practice for us in-fact, with requests for our assistance up at least 30% year over year since 2015.
Possession, in the spiritual sense, refers to the belief that a person’s body or mind can be taken over by an entity such as a spirit or demon. This belief is held by some cultures and religious traditions, and is often associated with practices such as exorcism, which is the act of attempting to drive out or remove the alleged possessing entity from the person.
But how do you know if you’re possessed? Diagnosing possession is a complex and highly debated topic, and there is no one source of truth. Some believe that possession can cause physical symptoms like illness, bad luck, or unusual occurrences. Others believe possession is a mental issue, one of perception, or a lack of judgement.
- Physical Symptoms of Spiritual Possession: Possession by a demon can cause physical symptoms such as illness, bad luck, or unusual occurrences.
- Behavioral Symptoms of Spiritual Possession: Possession by a demon can cause changes in behavior, such as sudden outbursts of anger or aggression.
- Visual Symptoms of Spiritual Possession: Possession by a demon can cause changes in a person’s appearance, such as unusual marks or changes in their eyes.
- Hallucinations Related to Spiritual Possession: Possession by a demon can cause a person to hear or speak in strange or unnatural voices.
- Supernatural Phenomena Related to Possession: Possession by a demon can cause supernatural occurrences such as objects moving on their own or unexplained noises.
The Catholic Church does not formally recognize the concept of demonic possession, and the existence of demonic possession is not accepted by mainstream science. However, the Church does have a set of guidelines for identifying and dealing with what it calls “oppression,” which is defined as “the interference of the devil in the life of a human being through temptation, deception, or direct attack.” Oppression can manifest in a variety of ways, including physical symptoms, behavioral changes, and spiritual difficulties. The Church advises seeking spiritual and medical help in cases of oppression, and may recommend the use of exorcism as a last resort after all other options have been exhausted.
If you’re concerned that you may be possessed, it’s important to seek guidance from a spiritual advisor or religious leader who is knowledgeable in diagnosing possession. They can provide support and help you determine if demonic possession is the cause of your symptoms. In certain cases, they may even be able to help you remove the demon.
But it’s important to note that seeking help from a spiritual advisor or religious leader for possession should not be a substitute for seeking medical care from a qualified healthcare professional. If you are experiencing physical symptoms or mental health concerns, it’s important to speak with a healthcare provider to receive a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
If you think you may be possessed, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at the Brooklyn Paranormal Society. We have a team of experienced investigators who are trained in dealing with these types of cases. We’ll work with you to help determine the cause of your symptoms and find a solution. Remember, you’re not alone.