If you’re planning on going ghost hunting, it’s important to have the right equipment with you to ensure a safe and successful investigation. Here is a list of ghost hunting equipment essentials, a comprehensive list of must-have gear for ghost hunting:
Ghost Hunting Equipment Essentials
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- It is not unusual for a flashlight to go out during an investigation, and some believe that paranormal entities can cause such devices to stop working. Bring extra batteries as a backup, just in case.
- A first-aid kit.
- Walking around in old, potentially hazardous buildings in the dark can lead to scrapes and bumps, so it’s important to be prepared.
- A notebook and pencil or pen.
- Old-fashioned writing devices are vital for keeping track of observations and sequences of events.
- A watch.
- Invest in an old-fashioned wind-up watch that doesn’t run on batteries. If possible, get one with a second hand.
- A tape recorder.
- It can be either analog or digital, but it must have an external microphone that can be placed away from the recorder to minimize static and noise.
- A camera.
- It can be a digital or film camera, but it should have a flash so that you have the option to use it or not. Bring extra camera batteries.
- An electromagnetic frequency (EMF) meter.
- This ghost-hunting tool measures the electromagnetic field in the area.
- A cell phone.
- These may not function well in paranormal hot spots, but bring one anyway, just in case you need to make contact with other team members or to call for help.
- Never go into the field alone or without telling someone else where your team will be and when you plan to be back.
- A thermal imaging camera.
- This device can detect changes in temperature, which may indicate the presence of a ghost or other paranormal activity.
- A digital voice recorder.
- This device can capture sounds that may not be audible to the human ear, and can be used to record EVPs (electronic voice phenomena), which are believed to be ghosts or spirits speaking through the recording device.
- A motion sensor or motion detector.
- This device can detect movement and can be used to detect the presence of a ghost or other paranormal activity.
- A laser grid.
- This device projects a grid of laser beams into the area being investigated, and can detect any movement or disruption of the beams, which may indicate the presence of a ghost or other paranormal activity.
- A compass.
- This can be useful for detecting changes in the Earth’s magnetic field, which some believe can indicate the presence of a ghost or other paranormal activity.
- Protective gear such as gloves, masks, and hard hats.
- These can be useful for protecting yourself from hazards such as broken glass, sharp objects, and falling debris when investigating in old or dilapidated buildings.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) such as face masks and hand sanitizer.
- This can be useful for protecting yourself from respiratory and other infections when investigating in potentially dirty or unsanitary environments.
Other Ghost Hunting Equipment Essentials
In addition to these ghost hunting equipment essentials, there are also some less essential, inexpensive, low-tech items you might consider adding to your ghost-hunting kit:
- Candles and matches or a kerosene lantern.
- These are a good backup in case the flashlight goes dead.
- A pendulum.
- This is an ancient way of communicating with spirits.
- Dowsing rods.
- These are used by some in the same way as an EMF meter.
- Rubber cement and black string.
- These can be tacked across access points to detect whether someone is entering or leaving the site without your knowledge.
- A magnetic anomaly detector.
- These are used to gauge the presence of magnetic field anomalies, which can sometimes indicate the presence of unusual paranormal activity.
- A tape measure or yardstick.
- Used to measure any object that may appear to have moved from its former position.
- A map of the area.
- Use this to acquaint yourself and your team with the site’s layout.
Ghost Hunting Apps
In addition to traditional ghost hunting equipment, there are also many mobile apps that can be used in the field to aid in the investigation. One such app is “Ghost Hunter M2,” which offers a variety of instruments and features to help detect and analyze paranormal activity.
The EMF instrument uses the device’s magnetometer to measure fluctuations in the surrounding magnetic fields, which may indicate the presence of a ghost or other paranormal activity. The Audio Detection Instrument utilizes the device’s acoustic to electric transducer system, driven by powerful algorithms, to analyze complex audio signals for potential EVPs (electronic voice phenomena).
The Fast Fourier Transform Visualizer (FFT-V) also utilizes the device’s acoustic to electric transducer system to analyze complex audio signals, while the Geoscope instrument uses an advanced triple-axis redundancy filter and the device’s electro-mechanical sensor array to detect even slight fluctuations in the terrain or underground.
The Spatial Displacement instrument uses a proprietary algorithm to analyze data from the device’s electro-mechanical sensor array, and the Twilight instrument uses complex image filtering algorithms to enhance the video imaging produced by the device’s camera.
The EVP instrument presents words, in both audio and visual format, based on an advanced proprietary algorithm, and the Barometer instrument uses a proprietary algorithm to analyze data from the device’s advanced barometric sensor array. The Luxscope instrument uses the device’s advanced light sensor array to measure subtle changes in the environment’s illuminance.
This app is available on iPhone 6 and up. While it is not a replacement for traditional ghost hunting equipment, it can be a useful tool in the field for detecting and analyzing paranormal activity.
The most important things to bring to an investigation are your common sense, your sensitivity and investigative skills, and a buddy. Never go into the field alone; you could end up hurt or trapped somewhere. Make sure to bring all of these essential pieces of equipment with you on your ghost hunting adventures to ensure a safe and successful investigation.